Saturday, February 16, 2013

Movie Review and such!



This movie recently popped up in my watch list on Netflix, and one night my boyfriend and I decided to give it a go since we've pretty much watched everything there is to watch on Netflix. The movie is called The Flowers of War. It's set in 1937 Nanking, China at the time of the Second Sino-Japanese War. A group of escapees, finding sanctuary in a church compound, an American mortician (Christian Bale) on a task to bury the head father of the convent schoolgirls, joined by the group of innocent schoolgirls and fourteen flamboyant prostitutes try to survive the plight and persecution brought on by the violent invasion of the city.

I thought the movie was very beautifully done, had a great story behind it, was sad yet moving, and the costumes were amazing. I've actually become slightly obsessed with cheongsam after I saw this film.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I even came across a Stratton compact just like the one Yu Mo (Ni Ni) used in the movie
 
 
 
 
 
 
And purchased some dresses that might even come to VLV with me
 
 
 
 

 

 
 All in all, I recommend seeing this movie. I took something away from it after seeing it that left me inspired in some form or another, and I hope it will do the same for you.
 
xoxo Lola*
 

3 comments:

  1. I just took a class about that time period/war and that was one of the movies the professor recommended

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh good! You should deffinetly watch it. I think alot of us get so caught up in just wearing vintage that we don't really think about the history behind it or the hardships some people went through during that time period. And that's what I really like about this movie, it not only shows hardship but the glamor as well. It's a nice balance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooooh I might have to watch this!
    Thanks for the recommendation!

    So you are going to be at Viva?
    I am booking pinup photo shoots if you are interested!

    xoxo,
    Tara O.
    taraophotos.com

    ReplyDelete